Seth G. Derman, MD, FACOG – Fertility Specialist
Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Specialist
Dr. Derman has been helping couples in the greater Princeton and Trenton areas of New Jersey grow their families for more than two decades. He is also the leader of the team that established the first and only IVF laboratory in Mercer County, and is the only reproductive medicine specialist with admitting privileges at University Medical Center at Princeton.
Dr. Derman helps couples who are having trouble conceiving, as well as those experiencing the pain of recurrent first trimester miscarriages. Dr. Derman has been recognized by Castle-Connolly as a regional top doctor in his subspecialty, and is listed as one of Inside Jersey Magazine’s top doctors in Reproductive Endocrinology. Delaware Valley is one very few private OB/GYN practices nationwide to have a fellowship-trained board-certified fertility specialist as part of our group.
He also treats women suffering from reproductive hormone disorders, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, amenorrhea, premature ovarian failure and congenital abnormalities of the reproductive system.
Dr. Derman sees patients in our Lawrenceville NJ office, and provides services from counseling to basic treatments (fertility drugs, IUI) to more advanced therapies (IVF, ICSI, PGD, CSS) and surgical procedures when needed.
As a member of the staff of the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University Medical Center at Princeton, he has been a frequent contributor to the Health Matters column at the Princeton Packet. He has contributed commentary on topics including infertility, recurrent miscarriage, IVF, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and endometriosis. He is a published author on various topics in reproductive medicine and gynecology, and has been featured locally and nationally in print and television news media. In his spare time, he enjoys travel, photography and the outdoors.
- Rutgers University, BA in Biology
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- St Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center/Columbia University, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Certified Mohel, Brit Milah Board of Reform Judaism
- University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro (active)
- Capital Health System at Hopewell and Regional Medical Center
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at Hamilton
- Abington Memorial Hospital
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School of Rutgers University
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Castle Connolly top Reproductive Endocrinologist
- Inside Jersey Magazine top NJ Reproductive Endocrinologist
- Top Reproductive Endocrinologist in NJ- Health Tap
- Elected Administrative Chief Resident by St Lukes-Roosevelt faculty
- Award for highest CREOG in-service exam (St Lukes-Roosevelt)
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Society of Reproductive Surgeons
- Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology
- Philadelphia Area Reproductive Endocrine Society
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Mercer County Medical Society
- Medical Society of New Jersey
- Board of Directors of Lifeline Medical Associates
- Philadelphia Area Reproductive Endocrine Society, Board Member
PUBLICATIONS AND BOOK CHAPTERS:
- Derman SG, Rehnstrom JA, Neuwirth RS. The long-term effectiveness of hysteroscopic treatment of menorrhagia and leiomyomas. Obstet Gynecol 77(4):791-4. 1991.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Fact Sheet: Female Infertility: Patient education brochure for the Endocrine Society. 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Adverse effects of fertility drugs. Drug Safety 11:408-21. 1994.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Ovulation Induction. Comprehensive Therapy 21(10). 1995.
- Derman SG, Peralta L. Postcoital contraception: present and future options. J Adol Health 16:6-11. 1995.
- Derman SG, McClamrock HD, Adashi EY. Regulation of the pituitary response to gonadotropin-releasing hormone, In: Gynecology and Obstetrics: Droegemueller and Sciarra JJ, eds., Volume 5. Chapter 8. 1996.
- Derman SG. Current trends in infertility diagnosis and treatment. Mercer Medicine. August 1999.
- Derman SG, Kol S, Ben-Shlomo I, Adashi EY and Payne DW. Transforming growth factor-beta-1 is an inhibitor of interleukin-1 actions in the rat ovary. J Endocrinol 160(3):415-23. 1999.
- Derman SG, Seifer DS. IVF in the older patient, Current Womens Health Reports. 2003.
- Derman SG. Gonadotropin-Induced Ovulation. In: Encyclopedia of Endocrinology and Endocrine Diseases, Martini L, Ed. Academic Press. 2004.
- Derman SG. Endometriosis. In: Encyclopedia of Endocrinology and Endocrine Diseases, Martini L, Ed. Academic Press. 2004.
- Derman SG, Seifer DS. Evaluating Infertility. In: Requisite Series in Obstetrics and Gynecology: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Alvaro R, Schlaff W, Eds. Elsevier Inc. 2007.
- Derman SG, Hoover L, Ahmed H. Oolema integrity has a negative impact on IVF outcomes and is cycle specific. Fertil Steril 91(s1) p. 408. 2008.
- Derman SG, McClamrock HD and Adashi EY. “The Laparoscopically-Assisted AbdominalTubal Reanastamosis (LAATR): A Hybrid Procedure”. Poster presentation at the Conjoint Annual Meeting of the American Fertility Society and the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society, Montreal, Quebec, October 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY and McClamrock HD. “Failure to Achieve Pregnancy by Superovulation with Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) and the Prognosis for Success with More Advanced Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART)”. Oral Presentation at the VIIIth World Congress on In Vitro Fertilization and Alternate Assisted Reproduction. Kyoto, Japan, September 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY and McClamrock HD. “Failure to Down-Regulate in Response to Leuprolide Acetate (LA) in Patients with Hyperprolactinemia Preparing for Assisted Reproductive Technologies”. Oral Presentation at the VIIIth World Congress on In Vitro Fertilization and Alternate Assisted Reproduction, Kyoto, Japan, September 1993.
- Derman SG, Kol S, Ben-Shlomo I, Adashi EY and Payne DW. “Transforming growth factor- β1: an inhibitor of interleukin-1β in the rat ovary.” Poster presentation at the 77th annual meeting of the Endocrine Society, Washington, DC, June 1995.
- Rohan RM, Ben-Shlomo I, Kol S, Ginter H, Derman S and Adashi EY. “Interleukin-1 influences expression of the insulin-like growth factor axis in primary cultures of rat ovarian cells” Poster presentation at the 77th annual meeting of the Endocrine Society, Washington, DC, June 1995.
- Ahmed H, Russell H, Bocca S, Ahmed S, Derman S. “Endometrial biopsy prior to IVF stimulation improves embryo implantation rates.” Poster presentation at the 71st annual meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Baltimore, MD, October 2015.
- Derman SG. Medical specialty brings new hope to infertile couples. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 1996.
- Derman SG. When dealing with recurrent miscarriage, don’t give up hope. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2001.
- Derman SG. Dispelling some widespread myths about infertility. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2010.
- Derman SG. IVF: a step-by-step procedure. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2010.
- Derman SG. Consider the options in managing endometriosis. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2011.